This build was for 5 workstations for a community organisation. They would be used for a number of projects including some video and audio production. The budget was restricted so we needed to balance the cost of the components carefully to make sure we got the most performance for the money. A 250GB hard drive, Asus H61 chipset board and the Foxconn tower allowed us to use 4GB of RAM with the Intel Pentium G2120 CPU keeping the performance of the machines reasonably fast. The drive size would not be too much of an issue as the machines would be connected to a server and external hard drives were available for big video projects.
The full spec…
- FOXCONN TLM-436 MICRO ATX CASE WITH 300W PSU
- Asus P8H61-M LX3 PLUS R2.0
- Intel Pentium G2120 (3M Cache, 3.10 GHz)
- Seagate Barracuda ST250DM000 250GB 3.5″ Internal Hard Drive
- 4GB kit (2GBx2) 240-pin DIMM DDR3 PC3-12800
- Optiarc AD-7280S-0B SATA DVD+-R/RW/DL
components in stock
mainboard and cpu fitted
Seagate Barracuda ST250DM000 HDD fitted
This was a build for a University. It had to be relatively quiet and they wanted it in the rack. It was going to be used for both music production software, mainly Cubase but also some video editing, hence the 2 x 2TB Seagate drives. They were using a Focusrite firewire interface. I have found the Zalman PSUs to offer good noise levels for their cost. You can get quieter PSUs. The Scythe Shuriken also offers good noise levels for its cost. The intel Z68 chipset also offers the option of a raid setup using the the Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology. There is a related post here.
The customer has commented on how quiet the machine runs. It was set up running Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit. The StarTech PCI1394MP firewire card has proven to be very reliable with both firewire soundcards and connecting to various cameras. I also removed one of the internal fans to help with the noise levels.
The build went well with no problems.
- Lian Li PC-C32B Aluminium Desktop CAse
- Zalman ZM600-ST 600W Quiet ATX PSU
- Asus P8Z68-V/GEN3 Desktop Motherboard
- Intel Core i7 2700K 3.50 GHz Processor – Socket H2 LGA-1155
- Scythe Shuriken RevB Quiet Low Profile CPU Cooler
- 8GB Kit (4GBx2), Ballistix 240-pin DIMM, DDR3 PC3-12800
- 1 x Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1 TB / SATA600 / 7200 rpm / 64 MB
- 2 x Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM001 2TB HDD / SATA600 / 7200rpm / 64MB
- Optiarc AD-7240S-0B SATA DVDRW
- Asus NVIDIA GeForce GT520 1GB Graphics Card 90-C1CQQ0-L0UANAYZ
- StarTech.com 4-Port IEEE-1394a PCI Firewire Card TI chipset (PCI1394MP )